DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou Awards Travel with Purpose® Action Grant to GIVES
GUANGZHOU, China - On behalf of DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, Hilton Worldwide has awarded a $3000 Travel with Purpose® Action Grant to GIVES. The funds will be used as follows:
- Obtaining the necessary cob material needed for construction. Cob is a mix of local earth resources including sand, clay and straw. Majority should be resourced on site (500 RMB)
- Hiring of commercial mixing equipment is recommended, to reduce labor requirements and length of time required to complete the workshop (5,000 RMB).
- Additional building materials from larger stones, bricks, fibers and timber to construct the shelter, benches, fences, garden edges and footpaths (10,000 RMB).
- Power installation and lighting (7,500 RMB)
- Salary for earth building expert and housing for the duration of the workshop (3,500 RMB)
- Workshop study supplies and additional produce for the workshop participant's, meals that are not grown on location (2,000 RMB)
- Art boards, stencils, work stools, head desk, black board and full range of art and writing supplies that are needed for art events and workshops (7,000 RMB)
- Marketing and advertising that is required for the sustainable earth building workshop (500 RMB)
- Garden supplies including both aquatic and soil based plants (3,000 RMB)
- Irrigation lines and water pumps (1,500RMB)
Total investment required for the "SUSTAINABLE EARTH BUILDING WORKSHOP" to build a Centre for the members of the Guangzhou federation of disabled persons and the public of Guangzhou city to integrate and immerse in the arts.
The total expense for the art studio is higher than the Travel with Purpose grant application, and the additional funds will be collected via charity work from the Australian Chamber of Commerce and DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou who will partner together for raising funds at the ANZAC day Ball and other social charity raising events.
The Travel with Purpose Action Grant program, launched in 2013, is part of Hilton Worldwide's global effort to support the development of local solutions and strengthen the quality of life in the communities Hilton Worldwide hotels and corporate offices serve. More than $150,000 was awarded this year to 62 Hilton Worldwide properties and community organizations around the world as part of the Travel with Purpose Action Grant program.
According to Chris Roberts, general manager, DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou, "We are so proud to be part of this global initiative and excited to have been awarded these funds on behalf of our community organization. Our Team Members continually look for creative ways to extend our impact in our community and this grant will enable us to do just that."
"DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou has been a valuable supporter of GIVES for almost a year and we are thrilled to be a 2014 recipient of a Travel with Purpose Action Grant," noted the director of organization Rasaline Yan "With these funds, we will promote sustainability & eco-friendly construction concept, join the hands of expats and local communities to empower people, build permanent scenic free gathering site, permanent leisure and education venue, create outdoor art outreach platform. We want to thank DoubleTree by Hilton Guangzhou and its Team Members for their passion and spirit of service."
The Arts Centre will be built beside a lake at the school and will be created with sun sky lights and solar hot water systems to be eco-friendly. The site will have space by the lake for a BBQ and picnic area where locals and expatriate groups can come for daily outings and spend time with the children at the arts studio. This will allow for individuals, families and social/community clubs to visit and contribute to the children's educational and social experiences, while also creating an inviting location for groups to visit and enjoy BBQ's and fishing by the lake.
All Travel with Purpose Action Grants support projects that are aligned with Hilton Worldwide's four corporate responsibility focus areas:
- Creating Opportunities: includes programs focusing on youth development, career mentoring and workforce development in hospitality training with a focus on disadvantaged populations; promotion of diversity in our workforce, owners, and suppliers;
- Strengthening Communities: includes projects that support sustainable economic growth by increasing opportunities for emerging local businesses to succeed in the global value chain; disaster preparation and resiliency; critical services including housing and hunger/food insecurity; prevention of child trafficking and support services for survivors;
- Celebrating Cultures: includes education programs that foster cultural heritage, preservation and restoration of historic or cultural monuments; projects that bridge diverse cultures and foster inclusiveness and diplomacy; support for local sourcing and goods;
- Living Sustainability: includes projects that assist in the protection, conservation and restoration of natural resources and habitats; projects that educate and inform the public about sustainability; support for sustainable sourcing and purchasing.
+86 (20) 2833 2888
About Travel with Purpose®
Travel with Purpose® is Hilton Worldwide's corporate responsibility commitment to providing shared value to its business and communities in four areas - creating opportunities for individuals to reach their full potential; strengthening communities where Hilton Worldwide operates; celebrating cultures and the power of travel; and living sustainably through the measurement, analysis and improvement of the company's use of natural resources.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company, with a portfolio of 14 world-class brands comprising more than 5,000 properties with more than 825,000 rooms in 103 countries and territories. Hilton is dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company by delivering exceptional experiences – every hotel, every guest, every time. The company's portfolio includes Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Curio Collection by HiltonTM, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by HiltonTM, Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton and Hilton Grand Vacations. The company also manages an award-winning customer loyalty program, Hilton Honors. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose exactly how many Points to combine with money, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else and free standard Wi-Fi. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.